Monday, March 15, 2010

Unexpected...

I recieved an email from an old friend last week. A friend that I had since middle school. And since we graduated high school we have talked here and there. It was an email that started out like any other, with the how are you type questions. We had been dicussing doing her hair, (as most of you know I am a hairstylist) and she was trying to step up a date. Well then the email turned into something I would have never expected... It was a pleasant surprise to say the least. Here's what she said:


Also, Kendra...I just wanted to say that I am so happy for you. It sounds like you are truly trying to make a difference in your life. I can relate to all your posts. I often just make myself have a bad day for no reason because I allow myself to have negative thoughts. You have always been such a fun happy person to be around and I just want you to know that you have always brought a smile to my face. I do not think you have a clue how many peoples lives you impact with your giving spirit! You were always the person that took care of everyone's hair before basketball games, dances...etc. I know that is a silly example but it is the truth you always put people before yourself.


It was a great feeling to know that someone noticed my giving heart. Someone that I would have never expected. We went on to chat and I realized that we are both in the same spot in our lives. We are both trying to make a difference, both reaching for the same goals. We are both changing for the better, surrounding ourselves with positive people, and loving our new found selves. I went on the tell her that my only struggle is how to balance my new self with my old self. I don't want people to put me down and call me a fake because I have changed. She went on to tell me that the people I want in my life will except me for who I am, and the ones that don't I probably don't need them in my life anyway. I had never really thought about it like that.

My life has changed, and it will continue to change. I have become someone I have longed to be my whole life. Someone I can be proud of. I have been searching for this girl for a long time. I have a long way to go still, and I am striving to be the best I can be everyday. I am making the changes needed. I am not fighting them. I love myself for the first time in a really long time. I love my whole self not just bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment