Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Listen..

Today I decided that listening is something that I should do more often. You hear some pretty interesting things when you just listen. I was at work, working on a regular client that comes in once a week to have her hair set. She's 90 and full of wisdom. I don't think I had ever just stopped and listened to her. Today I listened. And she talked... I never realized she had so much to say. So much about stuff that I love. She talked of books, and love, and family. All things that I have went on and on about. This time I listened. Listened to her stories of how much she cares for one of her nieces, since she never had any daughters of her own. And how she was so excited to see her. She talked about her son who was going to be come from Alaska to visit her. She told me she prays that I will find a man to love me and take care of me. She told me I deserve it. She has always asked me about my love life or lack there of. And I have never really told her, but today she caught me. She caught me mentioning a guy I had mentioned once before. She just smiled and asked me to tell her a little about him. So I did.I told her of the reason I thik he's in my life. Told her that I think its God just telling me not to give up on men. And that theres still good guys out there. I told her that I started to attend church. Mind you she goes to church everyday. And all she said was that everyone needs a little religion in their life. We talked about Lorna Doone, Sense and Sensiblity, and Pride and Prejudice. She told me stories of when she was in school and how she skipped out on reading Pride and Prejudice because she had read it one to many times. I laughed and smiled. We talked of traveling and friends. She told me stories of her favorite emerald ring. And I reminded her my birthday is in May. She is a very wise women. A women with so many stories to tell. And in reality all she needs is someone to listen. So from now on I think I am going to take a little more time to just listen. I learned all this in just half an hour. Just imagine if I would have been listening for the past 3 years. She has been sitting my chair every Tuesday for the past 3 years and I am barely deciding that she just needs someone to listen. Barely realizing that. Hopefully I have atleast another 3 years to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment