Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sober.

Alcohol. Something I used to consume every weekend. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with your friends and having a few drinks. Maybe doing a little dancing or singing a little karaoke. I always enjoyed the taste of alcohol. Until one night... one night was all it took.

December 5th 2009 was the last day I had a drink. I woke up the next morning feeling tired and sick to my stomach. Not totally sure of the nights events. I decided that the night before would be the last time I consumed any type of alcoholic beverage. Its not because I couldn't control my drinking. It was a personal choice. One that I could be proud for making. I am not the type to have one drink and be ok with that one drink. I always felt like whats the point of drinking if you weren't going to get drunk. I just think I had finally realize that I had forgotten what it was like to have fun without drinking.

A few years back I lost a friend in a drunk driving accident. I still think about her from time to time. Wondering what her life would be like if she was still here. What if she wouldn't have gotten in the car that night? I never want anyone to be thinking those type of things about me. So I have made the choice to stay sober. I have decided that I want to be in control. You can't control the choices of others, but you can decided what best for you. I still go out, but I now drive. I drive my friends from here to there. I feel comfortable behind the wheel because I am in control.

The hardest part of this whole not drinking thing is explaining it to people. Most people automatically assume that I have a drinking problem. They assume I can't control myself. They say well I didnt think you had a problem. I just shake my head and laugh. Then then I go on about how I wanted to remember how much fun things can be without alcohol.

So here I sit almost 90 days with out a drink of alcohol. 90 days is something I can be proud. Something my parents are proud of. I am not saying that I will never have another sip of alcohol. This is a test. A test to prove to me that if I set my mind to something I can achieve it. My birthday is coming up, and my friends have been asking me if I am going to drink on my birthday. And for a while I thought that I would, but then I realize that I haven't had a sober birthday since I was 17. I'll be 24. So I have a desicion to make. A choice. To drink or not on my 24th birthday.






To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment